Support in education
Mentality is necessary to be revolted and to reach this point to we should educate and influence the people to inspire them to improve their skills and attitudes voluntarily.
We are encouraged by our educational vision that we want to share with the local people of Bobo-Dioulasso, as well we want to support the disadvantaged and underprivileged to give them hope of better life. Frameworks and means we use are simple but effective:
- The sponsorship: we search for the sponsors in situ, in Europe or in other countries all over the world so that they can take care of paying school fees and necessities for children in need. For already over a decade there have been number of children in Bobo-Dioulasso and in other towns all around Burkina profiting from this valuable support. They attend either primary, secondary or junior high schools.
- The library: this tiny treasure is built on the site located in the Colsama district, sector 21 of Bobo Dioulasso. It is furnished with chairs, reading tables and bookcases that have been fulfilled with beautiful books for all ages and levels (philosophical authors, belletrists, African authors, sciences, comics, fairy tales, cartoons, …). These books are collection of donation by local and foreign donors, purchases and bargains made by the association and including various borrows.
A librarian is committed to full-time so that many people come regularly except Sundays. Estimated number of coming readers per day is about 20 people. The library impact on the community life is not evidently demonstrable:
- students who come for research are often satisfied
- peak hours are set so that students can have profit form readingreaders are happy to meet unknown people every time they drop bystudents with poor reading skills ar sometimes assisted by their seniors at certain times on a volunteer basissome s
- smallest and illiterate passers are attracted to get in by dint of watching readers and they even ask to browse through the illustrations.
- the projection of educational films with following discussions: it allows us to treat the virtues and themes such as the justice, the peace, the tolerance, the mutual assistance, the self-sacrifice, the ambition, the love etc.
- the competitions of the best reader, the best theatre actor, the best painter and drawer, the best narrator are often held for cheering up hidden talents of youngsters who have no occasion for self-expression. These are often rewarded with symbolic prizes depending on our means.
The simple but important everyday gestures and habits are step by step adapted by visitors, friends and members of the centre for youngsters. It contains:
- throwing the papers, plastic bags and other garbage up to the dustbin
- washing hands before entering into the library
- washing hands after using the toilet
- helping with cleaning and arranging the environment of the centre, etc
Like in any human activity, we have to be aware of educating ourselves first and frontmost before educating others. In the sense of these words, we learn a lot form all who we meet and who collaborate with us.
To improve ourselves we are open to any positive suggestion and any objective criticism because we are sure that there is still much to be done and that any kind of contribution can help us to accomplish our educational work.
Education can lead throughout most of the fields and those who receive it are well founded. An open membership and a voluntary do that daily life is marked beneficial acts. Above all it is the culture of humanity, the improvement of man himself that counts: "Everything starts and ends at man."